Friday, October 3, 2014

Bordeaux: The First Big City








Bordeaux, with a population of around 1.1 million people when including the suburbs and satellite cities, was the first big city I visited in France. Bordeaux is world-renowned for its amazing vineyards and wine, and the locals know this very well. Initially, I felt overwhelmed with the typical aspects of a big city: smells, crowds, demeanor of the locals, etc. However, after some exploring and getting my bearings, it became an architecturally interesting city with a lot of cat-calling men! I was not accustomed to this at all, and this experience definitely allowed me to brush up on my French slang (if you catch my drift).

Besides the occasional rude remark from a drunken man passing by, everyone was very friendly. Even though my French was not the strongest, I discovered that if you make the effort people are much more welcoming and will even try and help you in the little English they might know. You may even learn something speaking with them!


The food was also amazing! An “Insider Tip” from a student on a budget: if you want a great three course meal for under 13 euros, look no further! La Table D'Arrieta has delicious and diverse menu choices with a price that is unbeatable for the value. I tried duck (Demi Magret) for the first time at this restaurant, and it was so good the first time that I went back the second night to have it again. Overall, it was a wonderful experience and I would highly recommend putting this city on your go-to list in Europe!

No comments:

Post a Comment